For a filling and gratifying meal that the whole family will enjoy, try this delectable and simple recipe for chunky beef and potato stew. This stew is the ideal comfort dish for a chilly winter day since it is made with tender beef, substantial potatoes, and fragrant spices. Simply place all the ingredients in your slow cooker, cover it, and let it simmer for several hours or until the beef and potatoes are soft. Serve with some crusty bread on the side for a hearty supper that will keep you warm.
2 pounds lean chuck or other beef stew meat, cut into large bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into large bite-sized pieces
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juice (BPA-free cans)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1-1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano leaves
1 teaspoon paprika
- Whisk flour, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Dredge the beef cubes in the flour mixture.
- Place half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place half of beef cubes into the skillet and cook on all sides, for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden. Do not cook the meat through, just brown the outside. Remove and set aside. Add the rest of the oil and the remaining beef cubes and repeat.
- Add meat pieces to the slow cooker. Add onions, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, and can of diced tomatoes with juice.
- Stir balsamic vinegar along with broth, garlic, oregano, and paprika, and add in. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir well.
The ideal dish for a chilly winter day is this hearty beef and potato stew made in the slow cooker. This stew will please even the pickiest eaters thanks to the tender beef, substantial potatoes, and flavorful spices. You can make a great meal that is ready when you are by just tossing all the ingredients into your slow cooker and letting it simmer for hours. Enjoy a hearty and pleasant dinner with your loved ones while serving it with some crusty bread on the side.
* Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary based on individual ingredients used.