This butter chicken slow cooker recipe is a delectable, creamy dish that will fill you up. With delicate chicken thighs, tomato paste, onions, garlic, and ginger, this dish is brimming with flavor. Just put everything in your slow cooker, and then sit back and relax while it cooks. It won’t take you long to prepare a delectable meal fit for a relaxing evening at home. In order to make it even heartier, serve it with rice and garnish with fresh cilantro. Make butter chicken at home with this recipe to enjoy its mouthwatering flavors and comforting scents.
Prep Time : 30 mins
Cook Time : 5 hrs
Total Time :5 hrs 30 min
Servings : 8
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/4 cup canned Muir Glen organic tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Progresso chicken stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, stems removed
- Spray 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining half of chicken. Reduce heat to medium; add onions to skillet, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and gingerroot; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garam masala; cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, and scrape bottom of skillet with wooden spoon. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours. At last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in whipping cream.
- Transfer to serving dish, and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve over rice, if desired.